Friday, February 6, 2009

Introduce Yourself To Your Competition

In recent years I went to a typical meeting that was being addressed to a room full of people on the topic of marketing in regards to competitors edge. I was at the point when I was wondering when will this meeting be over and admittedly looking at my watch for the umpteenth time when I heard go to your competition introduce yourself and let them know if there is anything that you can do to help them please let you know.

The gist of it was to be honest let them know you are the manager or owner of the same type of business that they are in and a neighboring business. Shake their hands and openly express that it was a pleasure to meet them. In and out type deal, then see if they reciprocate by visiting you. The mentality that you are portraying is that of the aggressor which is interesting.

My immediate response in my head was "that takes nerve". Then I thought about it and clearly it is a way to intimidate or even develop a positive relationship over time with your competition; that is if it is the owner or manager you are talking to. I would ask for the owner or manager if you do this. It is also a way to discover possible weaknesses or strengths in their organization. I have not personally used this technique, and if I did I would do my due diligence by researching prior to visiting.

What do you think?

No comments: